Sunday, November 23, 2008

Art is No Luxury


In this morning’s New York Times, I am reminded of Paulette’s recent post about art and science. Of course, I think this question has everything to do with research and research methods. In our current project we are trying to respect the steps of a more scientific approach towards research but at the same time, recognize the limitations of that method. The article is by Jori Finkel about artist Enriques Martinez Celaya. Mr. Celaya is a painter and sculptor who is exhibiting at his Venice studio. The article caught my eye being titled ‘Layers of Devotion (and the Scars to Prove It) wondering if that title might also describe my quest for an understanding of justice. Mr. Martinez Celaya was trained as a physicist. While a graduate student at the University of California, Berkeley, he found himself spending more time painting. He described this fascination. “I found that the kinds of questions I wanted to tackle were not the questions of physics...Art is usually described as a luxury, but I felt the opposite. I just couldn’t go to the lab anymore and ignore everything going on emotionally with me.”
At EMU, we are, after all, earning a Master of Arts degree. I hope that with this project, we can explore the art of research as we seek answers to the difficult question of justice.

No comments: